British Marine would like to make members aware of the following Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) Marine Guidance Notes on:
• The Maintenance of Lists of Crew Ashore
• Use of Equipment to Undertake Work Over the Side on Commercial Yachts, Small Commercial Vessels and Loadline Vessels
MGN 577 (M+F) Guidance on the Maintenance of Lists of Crew Ashore
This Note advises shipowners, employers, masters of merchant vessels and skippers of fishing vessels of their obligations to maintain a List of Crew, including all changes, at an address in the United Kingdom. These regulations do not apply to fishing vessels of less than 40 feet in length. It also advises on the requirements to deliver on demand, a List of Crew to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen. Annex 1 provides the details to be specified in a List of Crew.
Please follow the link to the full document – https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/666872/MGN_577_Crew_List_Ashore_Final.pdf
MGN 578 – Use of Equipment to Undertake Work Over the Side on Commercial Yachts, Small Commercial Vessels and Loadline Vessels
This Note provides guidance on the use of “rail and trolley” and similar systems for undertaking “overside” work on yachts and other vessels. The main points are:
• To ensure that new systems comply with the current BS/EN Standards
• To ensure that existing systems have been checked to an equivalent standard
• To ensure maintenance is carried out to the manufacturer’s advice
Annex 1 lists the following regulations which are relevant to overside working:
• The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations 1997 (S.I. 1997/2962)
• The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) (Provisions and Use of Work Equipment) Regulations 2008(S.I. 2006/2183)
• The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment) Regulations 2008 (S.I. 2006/2184)
• The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) (Work at Height) Regulations 2010 (S.I. 2010/332)
Annex 2 gives details of the testing and operating procedures.
Annex 3 contains the requirements for single person systems.
Please follow the link to the full documents – https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/666853/MGN_578_Overside_working_final.pdf
British Marine members may contact Ed Tuite at email@example.com should they have any queries regarding these two MGNs.