Sunsail is auctioning off the chance to go sailing with a ‘hero’. You’ve got 21 days to work out your bid on the likes of:
- Dee Caffari MBE, who was the first woman to sail solo, non-stop around the world in both directions
- Mike Golding OBE, who was the first person to race around the world in both east and west-about directions
- Round the world race winner, multiple world champion and global record breaker, Helena Lucas MBE, who was Britain’s first ever Paralympic sailing gold medallist
- Shirley Robertson OBE, who was the first British woman to win two Olympic gold medals at consecutive games, and
- Nikki Henderson, who became the youngest ever skipper to lead a team in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race at the age of 25
The online auction runs from 1 to 21 June to raise money for the NHS as well as Turn to Starboard, a charity which uses sailing to help Armed Forces personnel and their families make the right turn.
Other lots include an experience day with The Blades Aerobatic display team for two people, a VIP hosted day at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, and a weekend sailing adventure for up to 12 on The Spirit of Falmouth. Smaller lots include a Sunsail sailing course in Portsmouth, a case of six bottles of Opihr Gin, and kit from the British America’s Cup team.
“While organising this auction it has been overwhelming to see the generosity of the individuals and businesses within our industry,” says Kate Staniforth, Sunsail’s Senior Marketing Manager. “We are so grateful to all the sailors who have offered to give up their time for such worthy causes. It’s touching to see so many people from our community coming together to help others in a time of need, and to support a charity so close to our hearts.”