The Volvo Race fleet has been gybing to position closer in-shore, with Turn The Tide On Plastic now positioned closest in-shore.
First to gybe after passing Recife was Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier), followed by Vestas 11th Hour Racing (Charlie Enright) and after they had gybed back, then Turn The Tide.
Turn The Tide continued in-shore before gybing back to the north at 21:40 UTC Saturday.
The rest of the fleet have closed on Turn The Tide overnight, the leaders are sailing at 19 knots.
Leg 8 Positions as at 07:50 UTC on Sunday 28 April:
1. Turn The Tide on Plastic (Dee Caffari) — distance to finish — 3443 nautical miles
2. Vestas 11th Hour Racing (Charlie Enright) +0.1 nm
3. Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier) +2.3 nm
4. Team Brunel (Bouwe Bekking) +5 nm
5. Team AkzoNobel (Simeon Tienpont) +20 nm
6. MAPFRE (Xabi Fernández) +37 nm
7. Sun Hung Kai Scallywag (David Witt) +67 nm
This story is from sailweb.co.uk