Appeal launched over Red Funnel ferry crash which left two injured

By | October 11, 2018

An appeal has been launched after two people were injured in a crash involving a ferry in the Solent.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has issued an appeal after a Red Funnel ferry crash with a motor yacht.

The incident happened on Saturday, September 29 at 4.35pm.

According to the coastguard, two people were injured and assessed by the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service.

They were later released.

Now Coastguard chiefs are asking for public information about the crash.

Simon May, lead investigator with the MCA’s enforcement team, said: “We’ve heard from a number of people who were on scene but need to hear from anyone else who was in the vicinity and may have information that will help with the investigation.”

A spokesperson for Red Funnel said: “We can confirm that our vehicle ferry Red Falcon was involved in an incident with a motorboat while approaching East Cowes.

Red Falcon sustained no damage and no one was injured on the ferry.

“All appropriate external agencies have been contacted.

“The safety of its passengers, crew and other marine users is Red Funnel’s highest priority and this incident will be fully investigated.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Paula Evans on 020 381 72574 quoting ‘RedFunnel Yacht Incident’.

The incident took place just two days after another Red Funnel ferry crash.

That incident, on September 27, involved the company’s Red Eagle, which reportedly ploughed through moorings in Cowes Harbour, cutting several boats adrift into the Solent.

A 30ft catamaran, belonging to an Isle of Wight vicar, was also pushed from its moorings and into a small Daring boat.

The incident happened around 5.30am.

A spokesperson for Red Funnel said: “We can confirm that MV Red Eagle operating the 5.30am sailing to Southampton came into light contact with a small yacht moored overnight in the fairway at Cowes.

“There were no crew aboard the yacht and no one was injured on the ferry which was undamaged and remains in service.

“An investigation into the cause is underway in partnership with the relevant authorities.

“Visibility at the time was reported to be extremely poor due to fog.”

Story by Southern Daily Echo