Team Brunel (Bouwe Bekking) are still pulling miles on the rest of the fleet and have now posted a 525 Nm 24-hour run.
The Volvo Ocean Race teams were enjoying full-speed trade wind sailing on Wednesday as they knocked off the miles to the Leg 8 finish in Newport, Rhode Island.
Stage leaders Team Brunel continue to set the pace as they blast along at more than 22 knots, matching the wind for speed, and holding a narrow 15-mile jump on second-placed Dongfeng Race Team.
The top trio, which also includes Turn the Tide on Plastic, were less than 30 miles apart as the battle for Leg 8 supremacy continued on the tenth day at sea.
Just over 2,100 miles remain between the leaders and the finish line.
Leg 8 Positions as at 21:30 UTC on Wednesday 2 May:
1. Team Brunel (Bouwe Bekking) — distance to finish — 2,161 nautical miles
2. Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier) +19 nm
3. Turn The Tide on Plastic (Dee Caffari) +34 nm
4. Vestas 11th Hour Racing (Charlie Enright) +45 nm
5. MAPFRE (Xabi Fernández) +71 nm
6. Team AkzoNobel (Simeon Tienpont) +93 nm
7. Sun Hung Kai Scallywag (David Witt) +216 nm
This story is from SailWeb.