A little over 2,000 miles now stand between the Volvo Ocean Race pace setters and the Leg 3 finish line in Melbourne with Dongfeng Race Team and MAPFRE, continuing to take turns in the lead.
The game has been to hug the Antarctic Ice Exclusion Zone (AIEZ) to remain in the stronger winds to the south, which has seen the past few days of having to perform gybe after gybe, often with no more than an hour between manoeuvres.
Leg 3 – Position Report (21:36 UTC)
1. MAPFRE (ESP), Xabi Fernández (ESP), 1990.0 nm DTF
2. Dongfeng Race Team (CHN), Charles Caudrelier (FRA), 2.1 nm DTL
3. Vestas 11th Hour Racing (DEN/USA), Charlie Enright (USA), 94.8 nm DTL
4. Team Brunel (NED), Bouwe Bekking (NED), 120.8 nm DTL
5. Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag (HKG), David Witt (AUS), 219.8 nm DTL
6. Turn the Tide on Plastic (POR), Dee Caffari (GBR), 292.1 nm DTL
7. Team AkzoNobel (NED), Simeon Tienpont (NED), 364.25 nm DTL
DTF – Distance to Finish; DTL – Distance to Leader.